Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Game, Set, Match


What a corker of a match Andy Murray had last night against Richard Gasquet. A nigh on 4 hour, 5 set match. Unfortunately I had to watch on TV but in week 1 of Wimbledon I saw some live tennis on the 1st and 2nd days of the tournament.
This was the first year I made a conscientious decision to go twice after last year my chosen day got rained out forcing me to make a second visit to see some tennis; and in 2006 I chanced on a second trip on the mid Saturday after finishing work at 5pm, and found myself buying a resale Court 1 ticket and watching Andy Murray beating Andy Roddick. Happy days!

I had company both days; Lucy and boyfriend Richard on the Monday, and Catherine on the Tuesday. Richard and Catherine were going Wimbledon for the first time, and I think they both enjoyed their day. And boy what a day; a 7am start to arrive in time to queue up to to get tickets. Imagine arriving in West London at 9.15am after 1 1/2 hour journey to get there and finding 6000 people in the queue ahead of you. Welcome to Wimbledon! Luckily, (I had actually been checking on the weather from 2 weeks before to ensure I picked the best days to go) the weather was fine all day and got to see 3 matches each day. Thoroughly entertaining! I definitely want to get onto the show courts next year and have checked on the prices; £500 - £23,000 (but start saving).





No comments: