Sunday, November 11, 2007

A funny thing happened at work...

On Friday something happened at work, which seeing as I've been an estate agent for nearly 5 years, its a surprise it hasn't happened before. Let me set the scene....

When a home is repossessed by the bank for non payment of a mortgage, its always with plenty of notice. A bailiff and a locksmith turn up evict whomever is inside and change the locks to secure the property. The occupant then has 14 days to contact the estate agent, preselected by the bank to receive the keys and later market the property, to gain access and clear the property of their belongings.

On Thursday a flat was repossessed. It was being rented out, so the tenants were turfed out. It was a mother and baby! So when the locksmith dropped the keys into our office he told us to be as to be as accommodating as possible with access.
On Friday a lady bristled into the office a declared that her baby was sick and she needed to get some medicine from the property which she was evicted from. At first I was going to go, but then Sharon went. 20 minutes later Alan dashed out of the office after receiving a call from Sharon. The lady and her boyfriend had lied just to get back into the flat and now were refusing to leave! After a stand off lasting 2 hours with the couple being incredibly abusive and several calls to he repossession company for advice, Sharon and Alan had to walk away from the property. The couple won the battle but will lose the war as they will only be evicted again, only this time forcible, with no access rights given next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have called me, I would have got them out........for a tenner.

squish said...

Well if your offer still stands Greg I'll have a word with the bank because it will cost them way more than that to evict them the 2nd time round!

Unknown said...

Very interesting story. Emergency locksmiths are playing very important role. I locked myself out of my apartment. And I called to locksmith company. They said that locksmith will come in 30-40 minutes. He came and opened my door in 10 minutes. So, the locksmith was very handy for me in this tight situation. Another case, my sister locked her 2 year old niece in the car at church. Luckily the locksmith company office is right next door.